It’s a super cold day in Houston! I honestly, think it’s the coldest day this winter. So what does this weather call for??? SOUP!!!
Chicken Avogolemono is a Greek Lemon, Chicken, and Orzo soup. In today’s version, I added some kale! (I also forgot the celery…)
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion , diced
- 2 cups celery , chopped
- 2 garlic clove , minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 cups orzo pasta
- 4 cups fresh kale , chopped
- 1 lemon
- Place the chicken in large pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, and let it cook for 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Pour the water the chicken was boiling in into a separate bowl and place to the side for later. (this is additional chicken broth)
- Shred the chicken and place to the side to use later.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. (I use the same pot and just rinse it out)
- Add the chopped carrots, diced onion, chopped celery, and minced garlic into the large pot. Take your lemon and zest half of the peel into the mixture.
- Saute ingredients over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.
- thyme, bay leaf, lemon zest and salt.
- Add the 64 ounces of chicken broth, homemade chicken broth that was set aside, thyme, bay leaf, and lemon juice, to the vegetables. Season with salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the shredded chicken and orzo. Cook for 10 minutes
- Add the kale and cook for 5 minutes
- Remove bay leaf
- Serve and enjoy!