Today is FAT TUESDAY!!!! In the spirit of Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras, my husband and I had homemade Jambalaya for dinner!
- 1 package andouille chicken sausage
- 1/2 pound uncooked shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 bell peppers (one each of green, red, and yellow or orange), diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 jalapeños (depending how spicy you like it), seeds and stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- (1) 30-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice chicken sausage into ¼ inch sections. Chop chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle olive oil in a large pot, and place on medium hit.
- Combine the chicken sausage, bell peppers, diced onion, diced jalapenos, chicken broth, tomatoes, minced garlic, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper all in the pot.
- Let this cook for about 20-30 minutes.
- While that is cooking in a saucepan make the white rice.
- Add the shrimp into the meat and vegetable mixture in the large pot and cook for 10 minutes.
- After the shrimp has been cooked, add the rice into the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Serve in a bowl or on a plate