Carrot cake is one of my ALL TIME favorite desserts!!! When I make carrot cake, I shred the carrots by hand. It can be a little exhausting, which makes carrot cakes cookies even better as it requires less carrots than a whole cake.
I made this cookies last week. My husband and I each took some to our offices and people LOVED them!
I don’t like raisins so I usually substitute them for chopped pecans. I also like having that little extra crunch from the pecans.
If you don’t have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer. I will say having a stand mixer makes everything soooooo much easier!
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 3 carrots)
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Shred 3 carrots into a bowl and set aside
- Using a stand mixer, beat ¾ cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, then add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add the dry ingredients a ¼ cup at a time to the butter/sugar mixture until well-combined.
- Stir in 1 cup shredded carrots, ¾ cup shredded coconut, ½ cup chopped pecans, and 2 cups oats and mix until combined.
- Scoop 1” rounds of dough onto baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool before adding the glaze
- To make the glaze: in a small bowl beat together 1 oz cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, 4 teaspoons milk, and ¼ teaspoon vanilla, with a fork until combined.
- Drizzle the glaze over each cookie and let it harden before serving.