Happy Monday! I hope everyone had an amazing weekend. The hubby and I were proactive and ordered our groceries on Saturday to be delivered Sunday morning. My 9am we had our groceries for the week all put away and had reorganized the entire pantry. (Yes we order and have our groceries delivered each week from HEB. Pro-tip: If you order next day delivery, then the delivery fee is free!)
Hubby was my sous-chef last night when we made these enchiladas. It was our first time every making them and they turned out better than expected which is ALWAYS a WIN!
I hope you all enjoy!
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño , stemmed and de-seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 poblano pepper , roasted, stemmed, de-seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms , diced
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- diced red onion , for garnish
- fresh chopped cilantro , for garnish
- pumpkin seeds , for garnish
Creamy Avocado-Cilantro Sauce
- 1 clove garlic , peeled
- 2 avocados , peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup red onion , diced
- 1/2 jalapeño , stemmed and de-seeded
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling add in the chicken breast and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Next, make the cilantro-spinach pesto. Add 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, 3 cloves garlic, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup diced red onion, 1/2 jalapeno, and salt into a food processor and process until combined.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Once, the chicken is fully cooked, shred it. (I washed out my food processor after making the pesto and used that to shred my chicken)
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and poblano pepper and sauté until softened.
- Combine the shredded chicken, pesto, and mushrooms & poblano peppers into a bowl.
- Spray a glass 9×11 baking dish with olive oil.
- Working one at a time, lay your whole wheat tortillas onto a flat surface. Scoop 2 spoon fulls of the chicken mixture into the middle of the tortilla. Fold long edge over then fold bottom and tops over the mixture. Roll towards open edge then place seam-side down in a baking dish. Repeat until remaining mixture is used up, about 8-10 enchiladas.
- Spread 1/2 cup salsa verde over the top of the enchiladas
- Place into the oven and cook fro 20 minutes.
- Next, make the creamy avocado sauce. Combine 1 garlic clove, 2 avocados, 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, 1/4 cup red onion, 1/2 jalapeno, 3/4 cup water, 1 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar, and salt into the food processor. Process until smooth.
- When the enchiladas are done baking, top with the avocado sauce, diced red onion, cilantro leaves, and pumpkin seeds